Monday, December 28, 2009

How can I help my teenage friends turn their lives around?

I have a group of friends that are always getting drunk and doing drugs and stuff. I used to be like that, but I have turned my life around. I can't think of many things I would have responded to when I was like that and I'm just wondering if people had any advice that my friends wouldn't get mad at me for saying/doing. The way I turned around was in a special situation so they couldn't go through the same things.How can I help my teenage friends turn their lives around?
Maybe you could just tell them reasons to quit..like these..


.


There's a chemical in your brain called serotonin, right? When serotonin is absorbed by serotonin receptors in the brain, it causes you to feel happy. When you use drugs, it flloods your brain with serotonin, so that you reach a really giddy high. The problem is that your brain can only absorb so much of that serotonin -- all of the extra serotonin turns to oxygen. When there is oxygen in your brain, it starts killing off brain cells, which can't be replaced by new ones. So every time that you take a drug, you're making it harder for you to learn, to process information...your memory is impaired, you can't understand people nearly as well. Also, when your brain is overwhelmed with serotonin, it isn't able to absorb anymore. This can cause severe depression. You're also at great risk for mental disorders, behavioral problems, organ failure..the list goes on.





Alcohol can cause brain and liver damage/disease in a similar way, memory/learning problems, an irregular heartbeat, cancer, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, mental disorders, and much more.





Look up the effects of alcohol and drugs online and you'll find the same stuff, I'm sure.





And I'm sorry, I know how rough this can be =[ i'm going through the same thing right now, and it's difficult...but you're doing the best that you can, right? You can only hope that they listen %26amp; learn from their mistakes.You're being a great friend -- keep hanging in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment