Thursday, December 31, 2009

Can someone help me find a good female teenage monologue that's approximately a minute in length?

I've already done a couple where they're on the brink of insanity and one pretty angry one, so if you could find a different sort of emotion that would be great. Also, if they were in a play, too, no randomly written ones. Thanks!Can someone help me find a good female teenage monologue that's approximately a minute in length?
I have these for the arts competitions i enter and they are all from plays, just not well known ones.


Mono 1


Play:the bright blue mail box suicide note


time:1 min


Description: Lisa prepares to commit suicide.


Hints: This is a dramatic piece, but it’s important not to fall into melodrama. The piece itself is serious enough. Lisa breaks down her actions into very simple steps. Keep the emotional quality simple as well. How does Lisa’s tone change when she talks to her mother?


I’m lying on the floor in the bathroom. Door locked. Lights out. Tiles cold on my cheek. i can hear my parents fighting in the basement. They always go to the basement to fight. I get up; Turn on the water in the sink and in the tub. Hot. I can feel the steam on my face. Still hear them... I feel for my purse. Its on the floor underneath the towel rack. The towels are clean, i can still smell the Downey. Unzip. The pack is inside the second pocket of my wallet. I dip my foot in the water. Too. Hot. Too much. Silence from downstairs. If i can just get into the tub. Knock on the door. ';Lisa what are you doing?'' Nothing mum. ';Lisa, why is the door locked?'; Ill be right out. Ill be out in a second. Everything is fine. It’s all right. It’s all right.


Mono 2


Play: Free


Time: 105


Description: Mrs. Brown, a young mother, stands in front of a mysterious pile of free food. Its being guarded until the town can come up with a way to divide it up. Mrs. Brown contemplates stealing some food


Hints: Mrs. Brown is a good person in a bad situation. She desperately wants to do the right thing, but loses the fight. Make this struggle clear in the text. This “wrong” decision should be the hardest thing she has ever done.





I won’t do it. I won’t do it. It’s not right. How can I? I was the one who said we should do it fairly. I was the one who fought to do the right thing. But it smells so good. I can’t think straight. I can’t think about anything but eating. What would it hurt if I took one small package-one sandwich, one little thing? Something small? in sure no one would even notice. No one would even realize that it was missing. If i took one little thing... NO. I won’t do i. I can’t do it. It’s wrong. It’s wrong


(She turns away but the pull is to strong she slowly turns back to the food as if she was hypnotized.)


(In a whisper) If I moved so slowly, so slowly, no one will know that im here. all i have to do is move so slowly. An inch at a time. so slow. its just a shadow in the grass, just a breeze by your ear, not a hand reaching for... nothing to see. nothing to see. its just a shadow. just a whisper. nothing more.


(by now she has some food)


free food, free fooooooood.





Mono 3


play: power play


time 120


Description: Beaker, a quiet loner, explains what her school life is like.


Hints: What is Beaker’s emotional state? Is she bitter? Is she angry? Is she numb to the way people treat her? What does she want to do to the people who bully her?


welcome to my world. this is a monologue so i actually get to show you my true self (she flashes a big grin) How are ya! you wont see the real me once i go over there ( she gestures offstage) At home, im the one who wont shut up. At school its not the same.


(Trips and falls)


I get tripped all the time. I carry around a lot of books and they always go flying. i guess its funny to see me fall. i probably get tripped every day. and that doesnt include the whispers. the things i find in my locker. And why? because im small? because i have the highest marks in the school? cause i tell bad jokes? who knows?


its like being thrown to the wolves sometimes. Rip out your throat before one two three. Theyre so quick and.. sometimes i just...


oh.. i dont...


what is violence? Ive always hought it had to be physical, you know? like what that football goon does? what they do to me... its not a hit. its not a punch. But why am i so bruised?Can someone help me find a good female teenage monologue that's approximately a minute in length?
There's a good one in Assassins- can't remember the character's name though sorry. There's a good piece in Cowboy Mouth by Sam Shepherd. If you look up acting schools and their audition processes they usually have a list of 'suggested pieces' (and they're usually aimed at younger people) some australian ones that do are nida (national institute of dramatic art) and vca (victorian college of the arts). Hope you find one you like!
Juliet from Romeo and Juliet;





JULIET: Shall I speak ill of him that is my husband?


Ah, poor my lord, what tongue shall smooth thy name


When I, thy three-hours wife, have mangled it?


But wherefore, villain, didst thou kill my cousin?


That villain cousin would have killed my husband.


Back, foolish tears, back to your native spring!


Your tributary drops belong to woe,


Which you, mistaking, offer up to joy.


My husband lives, that Tybalt would have slain;


And Tybalt's dead, that would have slain my husband.


All this is comfort; wherefore weep I then?


Some word there was, worser than Tybalt's death,


That murd'red me. I would forget it fain;


But O, it presses to my memory


Like damnèd guilty deeds to sinners' minds!


'Tybalt is dead, and Romeo--banishèd!'


That 'banishèd,' that one word 'banishèd,'


Hath slain ten thousand Tybalts. Tybalt's death


Was woe enough, if it had ended there;


Or, if sour woe delights in fellowship


And needly will be ranked with other griefs,


Why followèd not, when she said 'Tybalt's dead,'


Thy father, or thy mother, nay, or both,


Which modern lamentation might have moved?


But with a rearward following Tybalt's death,


'Romeo is banishèd'--to speak that word


Is father, mother, Tybalt, Romeo, Juliet,


All slain, all dead. 'Romeo is banishèd'--


There is no end, no limit, measure, bound,


In that word's death; no words can that woe sound



ok a really good one is ';Real Woman Have Curves';....Ive seen it played out and its perfect. And if you don't mind doing a man part do the ';death of a salesman';.

No comments:

Post a Comment